Anthems of progress and hope: “save the planet” . . . “save the earth”. Properly which means sentiments issuing from frightened individuals who see the place it’s going and need to make it proper once more . . . in order that their kids and grandchildren can get pleasure from and bask within the lush carpet of life that after coated the planet we name “ours”. Good, poignant, redeeming . . . ridiculous.
A superb alternative for completely happy speak about how, now that we all know what is going on, we are able to flip issues round and repair it. If we had been in a position to destabilize the core patterns of a whole planet, absolutely we’re able to find that elusive re – set button and returning to happier instances.
1- It isn’t “our” world.
2 – There isn’t any re-set or resurrection button for “saving” an annihilated world ecosphere that took thousands and thousands of years to evolve.
3 – When destabilized, any system in nature will search a brand new stability. Right here, we’re coping with a planet, a fancy, dwelling world that’s a part of an infinitely prolonged universe. The method is gentle years past our skill to regulate, predict or mannequin.
4 – There isn’t any “going again” to something.
“No man ever steps in the identical river twice.” (Heraclitus)
5 – Even when, by some miracle, the worldwide neighborhood had been to completely cooperate in retooling for sustainability, mitigation is, most certainly, the one risk left.
Nonetheless, there isn’t any signal of that cooperation. As a substitute, the entire major poisonous exercise that has introduced us to this disaster level has elevated quite than decreased. Fossil gasoline consumption, conflict, unbridled industrial air pollution of the earth, environment and oceans haven’t paused or skipped a beat.
6 – It could be tough to not discover the beautiful hypocrisy within the charade of “world leaders” pretending to resolve the issue.
- Audio system at UN’s COP28 local weather summit this yr within the United Arab Emirates had been advised to not protest or “criticize companies” in a warning that cited the Gulf state’s legal guidelines.
The host nation has appointed Sultan al-Jaber, (head of Abu Dhabi’s state-owned oil firm Adnoc), to the presidency of COP28. Guess the place his pursuits lie?
- An infinite portion of the Gulf of Mexico, spanning an space the dimensions of Italy, was just lately put up for public sale for oil and gasoline drilling, within the newest blow to Joe Biden’s popularity on coping with the local weather disaster.
- Fox Information: U.N. Secretary-Basic Antonio Guterres just lately known as on rich nations to maneuver up its net-zero emissions purpose from 2050 to 2040. A current memo was despatched to each Republican member of Congress urging lawmakers to dismiss the United Nations’ “alarmist report” on local weather change.
- *In accordance with an annual Banking on Local weather Chaos report launched April 12, 2023, the world’s 60 largest banks have spent $5.5 trillion on financing fossil gasoline tasks since 2016, when the Paris Settlement local weather pact got here into impact. Banks in six international locations dominate world monetary spending on the fossil gasoline sector : United States, Canada, China, Japan, France and Nice Britain. US banks offered 28 per cent of the entire financing in 2022.
- Exception: The one world chief not main a conflict or weapons based mostly financial system and who is just not owned by industrial lobbyists, Pope Francis, reminds us : “Any technical answer which science claims to supply might be powerless to resolve the intense issues of our world if humanity loses its compass, if we lose sight of the nice motivations which make it attainable for us to dwell in concord, to make sacrifices and to deal with others nicely.”
Life on planet earth is diminishing. The speed at which that is occurring is just not slowing down. It’s growing. This isn’t hypothesis. It’s a truth. It isn’t debatable. It’s actual.
Research, stories, simulations, fashions, particular panels, and many others. . . . “trim” . . . honest and sincere busywork meant for shopper consumption . . . however too restricted in scope to embody the enormity of speedy, dynamic, world, environmental free – fall.
The one attainable solution to decelerate or mitigate the continuing destabilization of the atmosphere is by worldwide cooperation in stopping the actions fueling the meltdown (everyone knows what these are) and sucking up the financial prices and hardships of huge retooling for sustainability. Troublesome, however it’s the one alternative.
Persons are extraordinary engineers and have the aptitude to attain this. The hot button is not debate or speaking or compiling stories. The hot button is merely doing it.
Save the Planet
“It’s a deal. All you individuals hear that ?”
by Charles Bukowski
Preview attachment Apollos Realm.jpg
Joseph Carlisi – Biography
Born and raised in New York Metropolis, he earned BA and MA levels in Philosophy at Hunter Faculty of the Metropolis College of New York after which continued his graduate research in Philosophy and Synthetic Intelligence at Massachusetts Institute of Expertise working beneath the mentorship of Marvin Minsky. Joseph labored as a component time content material and duplicate editor for Harvard College Press (science and drugs) whereas attending M.I.T.
After ten years as a college lecturer, researcher and administrator, he began and managed an promoting / public relations agency in San Diego, CA that dealt with a variety of economic accounts. On the educational aspect, he revealed a sequence of seven articles on animal habits for Harvard Journal and two books: “A Information to Private Energy” and most just lately “Taking part in God on the Eve of Extinction”.
Joseph Carlisi creates oil on canvas work that may be described as vivid, surreal and sudden. His work have been exhibited and offered in: Honolulu, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York Metropolis, Miami, Tokyo, Yokohama, Amsterdam, Berlin and Salvador Brazil.
Joe’s artwork is obtainable for buy.
Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.